Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Coveted Wolf Dress Form


The Coveted Wolf Dress Form, originally uploaded by confections.

My sister and I are taking a patternmaking class this fall in San Diego with the irrepressible Joan McKenna, professor extraordinaire. We are about a third of the way through the very demanding course which will result in a dress sloper that can be used to create custom-fit dresses.

This elegant Wolf dress form presides over the class in the back of the room near the three-way mirror. She is quite lovely and I lust after this indispensable industry tool.

I have a brand-X dress form in the deep, dark recesses of my garage, a relic from my own dressmaking days in the 1980's. I'm going to dig her out this weekend and see if she can be transformed into a reasonable facsimile of my body shape so I can get a head start on some draping skills.

Drafting a Sleeve Sloper

Our instructor has told us that it is a custom among dressmakers to keep a religious object on the worktable while you are drafting. So I brought along a Madonna & Child prayer card....and believe me, patternmaking will drive you to prayer! Appropriately, she is Saint Mary of Perpetual Help, St. Maria du perpetuel Secours, Maria von der immerwaehrenden Hilfe. Amen!

Collage of Patternmaking Class, Fall 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment