Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy Russian Christmas!

Today, January 7th, is Russian Christmas. I don't officially celebrate it, but my tree is still up and I definitely kick up my heels on Twelfth Night (January 5th) and Epiphany. I love honoring all twelve days of Christmas.

This vintage Czechoslovakian doll is the unofficial Goddess of my sister's kitchen. This year my sister handmade pierogi for our New Year's festivities, and the doll cast an approving eye over the meal. So here's to celebrating into the New Year!

Musical interlude:

One of my favorite carols is "In the Bleak Mid-Winter".

Another is "To Drive the Cold Winter Away", which you can hear at Cantaria.

Loreena McKennitt has a spellbinding CD by the same name which includes many traditional Christmas carols.

"May you have sweetness and many good things in life and in the new year!" (from the Russian Christmas Eve Blessing)
Vintage Czechoslovakian Handcrafted Doll Presides over Pierogi Meal
Detail of My Sister's Christmas Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment