Friday, October 10, 2008

Rapunzel, My Lendrum Spinning Wheel (two)

Here is a Warholized collage of my Lendrum spinning wheel, Rapunzel. I've had this faithful versatile wheel for thirteen years. I traded with a local weaver who was interested in a Bond knitting frame; she was planning to knit mohair yarn to make teddy bears. I've lost touch with the original owner, but may try to find her to see where her fiber journey has taken her over the last decade and a half.

Rapunzel came into my life around the same time I became enamored of quilting, so she languished for a while before I really focused on spinning. But since I started treadling, I have rarely stopped.

I will close with some words by Gandhi on the subject:

♥The call of the spinning wheel is the noblest of all. Because it is the call of love.

♥I believe that the yarn we spin is capable of mending the broken warp and woof of our life.

♥The music of the spinning wheel will be as balm to your soul.

♥My heart is drawn backwards and forwards between spinning wheel and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment